Friday, February 28, 2014

free-for-all february

i was on my way to fix my neglected toenails, when i stopped by the sewing table. that was the end of that for a while. hee, hee. sidetracked! my entire life is often sidetracked by sewing. sometimes this is funny and sometimes it's simply not. balance and prioritizing are a constant struggle in my world.

i tried to help with a portion of that by fabric fasting. january was good, february turned into a nose-dive, fabric purchasing free-for-all. the month is over as of today, so i'll be climbing on the wagon and starting over again. i should probably extend by a month (or 6) just to make up for february. who knew you could do an entire year's worth of fabric shopping in one month? i keep vacillating between contritely wanting to be honest in this space while being completely ashamed of myself, and feeling brazenly rebellious for busting my self-imposed limits. i did get some really great new fabric, after all. i'm like all jekyll-and-hyde{eann} about fabric fasting this month.

liberty lifestyle's practically extinct "bloomsbury gardens" collection found at jones and vandermeer

most of the last bits of my orders have arrived. i found some more meadowdot (allowed - always) and some liberty (not allowed just now) on-line (thank you, jones and vandermeer! - great shop),

small photo to minimize impact of large quantity already strategically piled to appear less

as well as one last fabric.com order (for current wips and not) that i just don't want to talk about. i am not sure exactly why i feel compelled to report every single bit i've purchased this month. i don't normally show my purchases, preferring to focus on my makes in this space. why couldn't i just say "i broke the fast" without completely humiliating myself by airing all my dirty laundry? all this talk, however, is the mourning of the damned, not the sorrow of the true penitent - meaning i am reveling in my purchasing sin.

one of the main reasons the idea of a fast appealed to me was that it would allow me to use the lovely fabrics that i had before they got completely lost in the stash vacuum. that is important to me. well, now i have even more that need to be used. so i am recommitting with my reasonings in mind.

hello, march!
let's fast.
wish me luck.
maybe the luck o' the irish will work for me.

6 comments:

  1. Well I am thinking of intentionally breaking my fast because I've been poorly all week and I've had a stressful time at work too so I feel that I need a little gift to myself for March. Unless I buy a dress or something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could just make a pattern of one month fast, one month not :-) You do choose the most amazing selections though - and next time you post a link to a fabric shop I will not go and look - too much temptation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaa!!! Your post says all that I was saying to myself!! I, too, broke my new-year fast by getting a BUNCH of new stuff in late January and early February - it is all SOOOO BEAUTIFUL, and I get such a thrill out of opening those packages, admiring the fabric, washing it, ironing it, stacking it, mixing it in with all the other lovelies - WHY is this a BAD thing?!?! My late mother always said, "Fabric purchases are cheaper than therapy." Well, thanks, Mom - but it does depend on the month!! Enjoy your new treasures!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaa!!! Your post says all that I was saying to myself!! I, too, broke my new-year fast by getting a BUNCH of new stuff in late January and early February - it is all SOOOO BEAUTIFUL, and I get such a thrill out of opening those packages, admiring the fabric, washing it, ironing it, stacking it, mixing it in with all the other lovelies - WHY is this a BAD thing?!?! My late mother always said, "Fabric purchases are cheaper than therapy." Well, thanks, Mom - but it does depend on the month!! Enjoy your new treasures!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "small photo to minimize impact of large quantity already strategically piled to appear less"
    LOLOL brilliant idea ~

    Buying Liberty fabrics really doesn't count in a fabric fast.........its almost like buying vintage, ish, sort of....lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. February is just a blah month that requires brightening with fabric! Honesty is the best policy and I like seeing the pretties you bought!

    ReplyDelete

a kind word is always appreciated. thank you for your visit.